Jefferson County, Alabama

News and Announcements


Development Service Creates Online Building Permit Process to Assist To Help Businesses While The Courthouse is Closed
Development Services, the department responsible for building and trade permits has created an online process to assist businesses while the courthouse is closed to the public due to COVID-19/coronavirus. This is actually an earlier than planned launch of a new online feature the department has been working on for some months.
For trade permits (electrical, plumbing, gas, mechanical) visit Accela ACA. It accepts bank draft or credit card.

1. Visit the Accela Application to sign up for a Public User account at
2. Downloadable instructions for using the ACA site are available form the ePermitJC landing page including a link to the ACA portal.
3. Contractors will need to have their Public User accounts connected to their registered credentials -- our staff can help with this process. Businesses will need to fill out and return this form (click here) Once completed, email it to us at
4. Contractors will get an email from staff with any questions or other required information.

Planning records (permits) can be applied for online without connecting a Public User account to any credentials. Citizens will create a Public User account and apply directly for their records type. We recommend that citizens contact staff in the office to determine if they will need to apply/what kind of record to apply for and what information they will need to submit to complete their online application. Call 205-325-5321.

Building permits will need to download the online application, complete it, scan it and email back to us at Visit our page to find the building and miscellaneous permit forms (near the bottom, in the "Applications for Permits" section).

Send applications and plan to, staff will contact applicants for more information if needed.

The Development Services homepage will be updated as more information and instructions are released. Please send feedback or questions to

Our staff is working even though the courthouse is closed to the public and will be communicating via phone and email with customers. If citizens receive an out of office email from staff they have been communicating with, please call the office at 205-325-5321 to determine who can help you.