Jefferson County Commission Approves Amended Agreement To Establish A University Healthcare Authority With UAB Health System
The Jefferson County Commission voted Tuesday, 3-2, in a reconvened meeting to create a University Healthcare Authority with UAB Health System to manage Cooper Green Mercy Health Services. The vote follows months of due diligence by both parties to work through details of the Master Agreement approved yesterday. The transition to the University Healthcare Authority will take place on April 1, 2020.
Changes made to the Master Agreement during the due diligence period include:
- Jefferson County will remain the “paying agent”for Cooper Green employees, which allows the employees to remain in the current pension program.
- Employees’ accrued sick and vacation time will transfer in full to the Authority.
The Directors of the University Authority will be as follows:
- Reagan Durant, MD, MPH, Chief of Cooper Green Medical Staff and UAB Division of Preventive Medicine Physician
- Raheel Farough, UAB Health System Vice President of Managed Care and Venture Support
- John Henry, Jefferson County Commission Chief Financial Officer
- Joe Knight, Jefferson County Commissioner, Chairman of Finance Committee
- Kimberly Payne, RN, MSHA, UA Health Services Foundation, Associate Vice President of Ambulatory Services
- Tony Petelos, Jefferson County Manager and CEO
- David Randall, UAB Health System Chief Strategy Officer