The mission of Environmental Services is to protect human health and the environment through the effective and efficient operation of the County-wide sanitary sewer collection and treatment system.
Regulatory compliance is one of many performance measurements used to judge the effectiveness of our efforts. As a requirement of the NPDES discharge permits and the Sewer Consent Decree, the department performs roughly 25,000 analyses on wastewater samples each year to ensure that clean water is returned to our creeks and rivers after treatment. Over the course of a year, the department will submit dozens of monthly, quarterly, semi-annual, and annual reports to state and federal agencies documenting our progress and results.
If you would like to see additional information about the wastewater system or water quality in Jefferson County, we have provided the following:
- Listing of the NPDES permit numbers for each wastewater treatment plant (WWTP)
- A copy of the Sewer Consent Decree
- Recent quarterly reports submitted to EPA
- A listing of recent sanitary sewer overflow locations
- Details of operational programs
- Connections to other resources