Volunteer Lawyers Birmingham offers free, civil legal help to low-income residents of Jefferson County. Prospective clients should call (205) 250-5198 to inquire about eligibility and schedule an intake. Meetings with volunteer lawyers are by appointment only.Services include:
I. DOMESTIC RELATIONS:
- Domestic violence related cases;
- Divorces – Contested and Uncontested;
- Contempt – Child Support, Custody and Visitation.
- Small Claims – except cases involving neighbor disputes, property line disputes and small consumer disputes;
- Consumer Issues – contract issues and repair disputes;
- Housing Issues – Evictions and Habitability
- Garnishments; and
- Homeless – driver’s license reinstatement, IDs
- Limited probate services such as adoption (relatives only), quitclaim deeds, corrective deeds, and cases involving decedent’s funds in banks or life insurance policies ($20,000.00 and below).
See www.vlbham.org for more information or call (205) 250-5198